[Debian-eeepc-devel] package for eeepc-linux for overclocking

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Aug 8 13:37:53 UTC 2008

Dear Ben,

thanks for the answer.

Am Freitag, den 08.08.2008, 10:21 -0300 schrieb Ben Armstrong:
> On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 14:11:32 +0200
> Paul Menzel <paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > Well I thought it was a place to make it easier to test things out and
> > fix some bugs before they are good enough enter Debian.
>
> Not really.  That's what unstable is for (and experimental, if things
> are not suitable for unstable).  No, this is for things that really
> aren't suitable to go into the main archives.  For example, there will
> never be a Debian atl1e package.  It will go into the kernel itself
> instead. (Well, I should not say "never" ... if it takes too long to get
> accepted into the kernel, we might again do the same as we did with
> atl2 and provide an extra package in Debian).

Understood.

> > Do you mean in general or in this particular case of eeepc-linux? Was
> > there a request to include it into Linux?
>
> Either/or.  I know nothing. :)  Check the kernel list.  Has anyone
> submitted a patch?
>
> > To be honest I do not much know about all this stuff. I just know that
> > 1680 * 1050 resolution on VGA is not supported on the EeePC a friend of
> > mine owns and the 22" monitor cannot be used.
>
> Very strange, since I use it all of the time on my 701 (with the Eee on
> AC power usually, if that makes a difference).

Can you please post your BIOS version. Either in the BIOS when booting
or maybe with dmidecode or so?

> > Looking at [1] it appears that not much is going on since January 2008
> > and there are some patches. So this can mean it is working alright for
> > the project owner or it is developed somewhere else or something else.
>
> Don't know.
>
> > So who do you think could be questioned to this regard?
>
> The author?

Ok. I will see, what I can do on Monday.

> > So it would be nice to get some feedback under Debian, so that I can
> > save myself some problems others already have fixed.
>
> Something strange is happening with the monitor.  I don't think you
> should have to resort to using eee.ko to make it work.  (Or maybe, if
> you are using this, it is the *cause* of the problem?

But take a look at the forum. I am not the only one.

>   Have you tried without it?)

No I have not, since at my friends house, the old 10 year old computer
does not support such high resolutions.

Thanks,

Paul