[Debian-eeepc-devel] package for eeepc-linux for overclocking

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Fri Aug 8 13:21:54 UTC 2008

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 14:11:32 +0200
Paul Menzel <paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Well I thought it was a place to make it easier to test things out and
> fix some bugs before they are good enough enter Debian.

Not really.  That's what unstable is for (and experimental, if things
are not suitable for unstable).  No, this is for things that really
aren't suitable to go into the main archives.  For example, there will
never be a Debian atl1e package.  It will go into the kernel itself
instead. (Well, I should not say "never" ... if it takes too long to get
accepted into the kernel, we might again do the same as we did with
atl2 and provide an extra package in Debian).

> Do you mean in general or in this particular case of eeepc-linux? Was
> there a request to include it into Linux?

Either/or.  I know nothing. :)  Check the kernel list.  Has anyone
submitted a patch?

> To be honest I do not much know about all this stuff. I just know that
> 1680 * 1050 resolution on VGA is not supported on the EeePC a friend of
> mine owns and the 22" monitor cannot be used.

Very strange, since I use it all of the time on my 701 (with the Eee on
AC power usually, if that makes a difference).

> Looking at [1] it appears that not much is going on since January 2008
> and there are some patches. So this can mean it is working alright for
> the project owner or it is developed somewhere else or something else.

Don't know.

> So who do you think could be questioned to this regard?

The author?

> So it would be nice to get some feedback under Debian, so that I can
> save myself some problems others already have fixed.

Something strange is happening with the monitor.  I don't think you
should have to resort to using eee.ko to make it work.  (Or maybe, if
you are using this, it is the *cause* of the problem?  Have you tried
without it?)

 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org