[Debian-eeepc-devel] UPX

Andrew Williams andy at tensixtyone.com
Fri Aug 15 08:21:51 UTC 2008

2008/8/15 Fabio Pugliese Ornellas <fabio.ornellas at gmail.com>:
> Sort off-topic, but related. I found this
> http://upx.sourceforge.net/
> tool today, which promises great binary compression and very fast
> decompression (very small slow down at startup). It would be particularly
> interesting to EEE series, due to small HD sizes. Has anyone here played
> with it? If it works, presumably, we can free a lot of disk space for better
> use.
>
> I immagine it could be added as a hook after a package install with APT to
> auto compress binaries.
>
> What do you guys think, shoud I at least give it a try?

I'd personally ask to avoid it, their licensing is GPL and in the
"free commerical" license they make reference to this nugget.

   The stub which is imbedded in each UPX compressed program is part
   of UPX and UCL, and contains code that is under our copyright. The
   terms of the GNU General Public License still apply as compressing
   a program is a special form of linking with our stub.

That alone is enough for the legal guys to start screaming from the hills.

http://upx.sourceforge.net/upx-license.html

--
Andrew Williams / Nik_Doof
w: http://tensixtyone.com/