[Debian-eeepc-devel] UPX

Axel Beckert abe at deuxchevaux.org
Fri Aug 15 10:14:23 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 11:31:01PM -0300, Fabio Pugliese Ornellas wrote:
> Sort off-topic, but related. I found this
> http://upx.sourceforge.net/ tool today, which promises great binary
> compression and very fast decompression (very small slow down at
> startup). It would be particularly interesting to EEE series, due to
> small HD sizes.

Interesting, indeed. I knew UPX, but never thought about it for the EeePC.

Besides the (IMHO interesting) legal questions which already came up:
Do you plan to rebuild the whole (or parts of the) archive with all
binarys compressed with UPX?

There's another thing which could be used to reduce disk usage of
installed package: Using lzma instead of gzip at many places, e.g.
changelogs, docs, examples.

IIRC rebuilding the archive and compressing the packages itself with
lzma instead of gzip brought a about 30% reduced size of the archive
(and therefore e.g. less CDs or DVDs to burn). Unfortunately that
won't help much here since the extracted packages won't be of
different size on the disk because of the different package
compression.

		Regards, Axel
--
Axel Beckert - abe at deuxchevaux.org, abe at noone.org - http://noone.org/abe/