[Debian-eeepc-devel] prebuild madwifi-eeepc-modules-2.6.26 ?

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Sat Aug 16 09:54:44 UTC 2008

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 22:01:06 +0200
Noèl Köthe <noel at debian.org> wrote:
> Will there be madwifi-eeepc-modules-2.6.26 from this project?
> I do not want to install all the build stuff on my eee because I do not
> have enough space for it and in the past I was very happy to get it from
> http://eeepc.debian.net/debian/

We discussed this on irc.  Initially I thought that for the convenience
of users until ath5k is released, it would be good for us to provide
such a package, except built against the source from non-free.  We
discussed the rename of that source package from non-free from
madwifi to madwifi-eeepc so the modules would automatically replace the
old ones.

However, this morning when I think of this again, I think we should
forget about renaming the source and just build against the one in
non-free directly, producing madwifi-modules-2.6-686 and
madwifi-modules-2.6.26-1-686 to upload to eeepc.debian.net only.

To ease the transition, we then make a madwifi-eeepc-modules-2.6-686
metapackage that depends on madwifi-modules-2.6-686.  That way users of
the old generic modules metapackage would automatically be upgraded to
the new.

Finally, when ath5k works well enough to replace madwifi entirely, we
drop these packages in favour of ath5k.