[Debian-eeepc-devel] Gathering information on getting support for 1650 * 1050 resolution

Jean-Christophe jc.sid at free.fr
Mon Aug 18 17:34:10 UTC 2008

Paul Menzel a écrit :
> Dear list,

dear Paul
> I had still no look with the ASUS VW222S and just can say that it is
> working correctly connected to a desktop machine.
>
> Just today it was confirmed again that someone have a working setup with
> an external monitor connected to the VGA port with a resolution with
> 1650 * 1050 with no problems [1].
>

> Could you please send me either the output or the files.

Let's do it
> 1. cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor    : 0
vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
cpu family    : 6
model        : 13
model name    : Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor          900MHz
stepping    : 8
cpu MHz        : 112.500
cache size    : 512 KB
fdiv_bug    : no
hlt_bug        : no
f00f_bug    : no
coma_bug    : no
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 2
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe nx up bts
bogomips    : 1262.13
clflush size    : 64
power management:

processor    : 0
vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
cpu family    : 6
model        : 13
model name    : Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor          900MHz
stepping    : 8
cpu MHz        : 900.000
cache size    : 512 KB
fdiv_bug    : no
hlt_bug        : no
f00f_bug    : no
coma_bug    : no
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 2
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe nx up bts
bogomips    : 1262.13
clflush size    : 64
power management:

I use p4-clockmod module (/etc/modules) and cpudyn to manage the speed.
I don't know if it's usefull but I installed intel-microcode and
microcode.ctl
> 2. The version of the BIOS. (Press F2 on start up or use dmidecode.)

910
> 3. If you use a 22 inch monitor over VGA at a resolution of 1680 * 1050,
> then please attach …

I don't, but I succeed using a 17" monitor at 1600x1024, maybe it could
help you...
> a) dpkg -l xserver-xorg-video-intel

ii  xserver-xorg-video-intel   2:2.3.2-2+lenny2           X.Org X server
-- Intel i8xx, i9xx display driver
> b) dpkg -l xserver-xorg-core

ii  xserver-xorg-core          2:1.4.2-4                  Xorg X server
- core server
> c) the manufacturer and model number of your monitor,
>

> d) your /etc/X11/xorg.conf
See attached
As you can see, I only configured what I needed: virtual 2048 2048, what
allows xrandr to put the monitors you want in a 2048x2048 virtual screen
Xorg now tries to detect all peripherals to start the server

> e) your /var/log/Xorg.0.log

See attached (hey! my XKB doesn't work! ;) )
> f) what command or front end you are using to switch (xrandr).

 xrandr --output VGA --mode 1600x1024 --below LVDS

works fine
> 4. More ideas, suggestions, …?

For xrandr, the resolution sum of your LVDS and your external screen
must fit in a 2048x2048 virtual screen, which is the maximum possible
with our graphic shipset, I think. So you must place your external
screen above, below or the same (see xrandr --help).
> Thanks,

you're welcome
> Paul

Jean-Christophe