[Debian-eeepc-devel] [SCM] Maintenance of eeepc-acpi-scripts debian package branch, master, updated. db56a3bc8a47819398ae7ae768722932aa9aea75

Iván Sánchez Ortega ivan at sanchezortega.es
Sun Aug 31 20:34:23 UTC 2008

El Domingo, 31 de Agosto de 2008, Damyan Ivanov escribió:
> Iván, can you elaborate a bit?
>
> Why would it return true for models without bluetooth?
>   - is it because the bluetooth control file returns 1?
>   - or, hcitool outputs something containing hci0?

At least the 900 and the 901 have connectors for bluetooth; the 901 does have
a bluetooth adaptor soldered to the board, whereas the 900 doesn't have
anything soldered - see "BT_CON" here:
http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bt0vm0.jpg
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=304343

In models (900) where there is nothing attached to BT_CON in the board, the
BIOS *may* try to power up that portion on the board, and *may* return true
even if it's powering up (in vain) an open circuit.

I do not know the algorith used by the acpi driver, nor by the BIOS, to
determine if there is a BT adaptor switched on. *Maybe* the board queries the
hardware on BT_CON and is actually able to tell if there is something
physically attached when powered on, I don't really know about this bit. I
hope it checks for that, but today I've got my pessimist hat on.

> I also don't quite understand your suggestion. "hcitool -dev" fails
> here complaining about unknown uption "-d".

I mispelled the command - it's "hcitool dev | grep hci0", with no hyphen.

"hcitool" actually looks for a bluetooth adaptor anywhere in the system. This
method has a drawback: it would return true if I plug a external USB
bluetooth dongle connected to my eeepc.

> Note also that this code is used only in the handler of the fourth
> additional key between the main keyboard and the screen. It should
> cause no harm unless this key is pressed, requestion toggling of
> bluetooth. Do models without bluetooth have this key? What icon does
> it have on it?

According to those:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eeepc#Specifications
http://eeepc.asus.com/global/904.htm

The 904HD model has this four extra keys, but no integrated bluetooth (I'm
guessing an empty BT_CON area in the board just as the 900). I do not know
the behaviour of the 904 about the issue.

The third and fourth keys are meant to be "user-defined", and both have the
icon of an user. Or, at least, what asus believes a user to be: a head and
shoulders similar to the MSN messenger icon.

With the provided Xandros installation, Fn+F2 cycles through both wlan and BT
(see http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=900wbtlv7.jpg ). I prefer
having one of the four extra keys just for toggling BT, though. Feels *much*
more responsive that way.

> Lastly, I did the implementation to first check whether the bluetooth
> is enabled in the control file, as when this is supported by the
> laptop_eeepc (I know eeepc_acpi does support this, even if after an
> additional patch), this would be the authoritative source (as for
> wlan).

I didn't understand this bit - which is the authoritative source for wlan -
the control file? iwconfig? both of them, serialized?

Cheers,
--

Esta linea de comentario es especial para @N@