[Debian-eeepc-devel] Brltty and the custom installer for the Eee

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Sun Dec 7 22:54:53 UTC 2008

Robin,

That's great that it worked on the first try!

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 22:50:48 +0100
"Robin Kipp" <webmaster at robin-kipp.de> wrote:
> It would be great if we could get that included in the
> official images, it doesn't take up a lot of space I think and I'm sure
> nobody would complain about it.

That's no problem.

> I just have one big problem that I also had
> under Debian before: it doesn't recognise the WLAN chip at all... Is this a
> general issue, is WLAN not supported by the current version of Debian for
> the Eee?

It should work.  Strange.  Were you not asked by the installer to
choose between eth0 and ath0 to install?  If you chose eth0 and
installed over ethernet, there is additional configuration you must do
afterwards to get wireless to work.

See: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/Wifi

> Also, when installing, the list of packages that should be
> downloaded from the Debian mirror showed up. Here, both "Desktop
> environment" and "Laptop" were unchecked, so I checked them. Was that
> correct?

It doesn't really matter.  Many of those packages aren't needed.  The
Eee will work fine without them.  Desktop Environment is particularly
large, so you might want to weed out things you know you don't need
afterwards.