[Debian-eeepc-devel] Volume keys on EEE PC 900

Fabio Pugliese Ornellas fabio.ornellas at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 23:26:10 UTC 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#ALSA_features

*Besides the sound device drivers, ALSA bundles a user
space<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_space>
library <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_%28computer_science%29> for
application developers who want to use driver features with a higher level
API than direct interaction with the kernel drivers. Unlike the kernel API
which tries to reflect the capabilities of the hardware directly, ALSA's
user space library presents an abstraction which is as similar as possible
across disparate hardware. It does this in part by using software plugins.
For example, many modern soundcards or built-in sound chips don't have a
"master volume" control; for these devices the user space library provides a
software volume control instead using the "softvol" plugin, and ordinary
application software needn't care about the difference.*

So, it seems that all alsa based drivers do have a Master mixer...

----
Fabio Pugliese Ornellas
E-Mail: fabio.ornellas at gmail.com
gTalk: fabio.ornellas at gmail.com
ICQ: 6516089
MSN: neo_fpo at ig.com.br
WWW: http://ornellas.apanela.com/

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 08:29, Nico Golde
<debian-eeepc+ml at ngolde.de<debian-eeepc%2Bml at ngolde.de>