[Debian-eeepc-devel] Sound problem solved on the EeePC 900, kernel 2.6.25

Neil Hoggarth neil at hoggarth.me.uk
Sun Jun 8 12:10:56 UTC 2008

Just a brief follow-up to the recent messages from Niccolo Rigacci and
Davide Cavalca. I'm also pleased to say that I am happily using a
DebianEeePC installation on my new EeePC 900 - my thanks to all the
developers and contributors who have made this possible!

Lack of working sound with the 2.6.24 kernel was a big issue for me (one
of the main things that I want to use my 900 for is as a portable media
player).

I downloaded a linux-2.6.25.4 tarball from kernel.org, made oldconfig
using the config from the DebianEeePC 2.6.24 kernel as a basis, and used
kernel-package to build a deb. Then I used eeepc-acpi-source and
atl2-source in conjunction with module-assistant to build modules.

The resulting kernel and modules work well enough for my purposes, though
I get the impression that there are still some unresolved issues in the
interaction between the sound hardware, the snd-hda-intel driver and ACPI.
Specifically:

The machine does not correctly power off after shutdown, unless the
snd-hda-intel driver is removed first (this can be worked around by
putting an S script to rmmod the driver in /etc/rc0.d/).

The sound doesn't work when the system resumes after suspend - in this
situation it behaves much like the sound in the 2.6.24 kernel, the module
is loaded, the devices exist in /dev and can be opened by programs, but
nothing is heard when one tries to play sound. This can be worked around
by manually removing and reloading the the snd-hda-intel module after a
resume.

I have just started playing with PowerTOP, and I notice that the system
uses the C3 state until the sound device is used. Once sound has been used
(however briefly) it never goes below C2. Again, rmmod/modprobe on
snd-hda-intel "fixes" things and the system starts going into C3 again
(until the next sound is played).

Regards,

Neil.