[Debian-eeepc-devel] suspend.sh in eeepc-acpi-scripts 1.02 and NetworkManager

Damyan Ivanov dmn at debian.org
Mon Mar 17 11:32:25 UTC 2008

-=| elijah r., Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 06:40:31PM -0500 |=-
> Hello,
> I'm running Xfce4, and using NetworkManager to manage my wireless
> connections (madwifi driver).  I found that on waking up from suspend,
> the wireless card and NetworkManager were having issues "talking", and
> I couldn't get a connection again without restarting dbus and turning
> wireless on and off using the hotkeys.

Hmm. I experience wireless-related problems when resuming, but of a
different mater:

Most of the cases, ot all "just works".

When it does not, I think the problem is somewhere in the madwifi thing,
as turning the wireless off and then back on does not succeed. The blue
LED lights up and then shuts off. I guess this is because the ath0
interface cannot be brought up.

Note I use a modified version of wireless.sh that does not fiddle with
pciehp at all (because this seems to be of no good).

So, when I resume and wireless seems to be not working (no results from
scanning for example), I try off->on. If this does not work, I remove
the pciehp module and then re-load it. After this, the wireless script
seems to work ok.

My very untested impression is that if the period when the Eee was
suspended is "sufficiently long", it all works. The problems come when
it is short (< 10 min for example).

I don't know how much sense this all make, I'd just share it in case it
rings some bells.

As for the wireless.sh/pciehp, I guess I can come with some patch that
would handle pciehp re-loading in case if otherwise ifconfig up fails.

On a general note, I think that shutting down wireless on suspend and
bringing it up on resume looks like a sane idea.

dam            JabberID: dam at jabber.minus273.org