[Debian-eeepc-devel] installation failure

Remco van 't Veer rwvtveer at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 09:25:59 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 9:02 AM, Glenn <gsaberton at foomagic.org> wrote:

>  Remco van 't Veer wrote:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > I am trying to install debian on my 4g surf but the base install keeps
>  > failing.  Most of the time trying to install libc and always with a
>  > different message on vc4; "illegal instruction", "segfault" etc.
>  >
>  > The standard Xandros install seems pretty stable although I got my toy
>  > yesterday so I can say I've used it much.  I did install the BIOS
>  > update 0703.
>  >
>  > Should I be worried by EEE is unstable or broken?  Any tips on getting
>  > debian installed?
>  >
>  > Thanks,
>  > Remco
>  >
>  Hi,
>         Seems a bit odd, as there haven't been any other people with that
>  problem during install that I know of. Can you try running memtest on
>  your eee overnight? Are you using the image from the wiki?
>
>  Cheers
>
>  Glenn

I used the image from http://eeepc.debian.net/images/, time stamp
04-Mar-2008 01:47.  I am beginning to notice weird behaviour in the
default xandros install too, or I am getting paranoid; open-office
doesn't startup "Unknown error forking main binary..".  I never tried
it before updating bios, which I am starting to regret.

I guess I'll try to make bootable memtest usb stick and run that for a while.

Remco