[Debian-eeepc-devel] installation failure

elijah r. elijahr at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 11:44:52 UTC 2008

You might not even want to bother running memtest.  If I were you, I'd
just take it back for a replacement, no need for tests (unless you
upgraded the RAM or something).  If separate operating systems are
giving you erratic segfaults, you definitely have some kind of
hardware or BIOS issue on hand.

-Elijah

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 4:25 AM, Remco van 't Veer <rwvtveer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 9:02 AM, Glenn <gsaberton at foomagic.org> wrote:
>
>  >  Remco van 't Veer wrote:
>  >  > Hi,
>  >  >
>  >  > I am trying to install debian on my 4g surf but the base install keeps
>  >  > failing.  Most of the time trying to install libc and always with a
>  >  > different message on vc4; "illegal instruction", "segfault" etc.
>  >  >
>  >  > The standard Xandros install seems pretty stable although I got my toy
>  >  > yesterday so I can say I've used it much.  I did install the BIOS
>  >  > update 0703.
>  >  >
>  >  > Should I be worried by EEE is unstable or broken?  Any tips on getting
>  >  > debian installed?
>  >  >
>  >  > Thanks,
>  >  > Remco
>  >  >

> >  Hi,
>  >         Seems a bit odd, as there haven't been any other people with that
>  >  problem during install that I know of. Can you try running memtest on
>  >  your eee overnight? Are you using the image from the wiki?
>  >
>  >  Cheers
>  >
>  >  Glenn
>
>  I used the image from http://eeepc.debian.net/images/, time stamp
>  04-Mar-2008 01:47.  I am beginning to notice weird behaviour in the
>  default xandros install too, or I am getting paranoid; open-office
>  doesn't startup "Unknown error forking main binary..".  I never tried
>  it before updating bios, which I am starting to regret.
>
>  I guess I'll try to make bootable memtest usb stick and run that for a while.
>

>  Remco

Elijah Rutschman