[Debian-eeepc-devel] FLOSS Atheros drivers and donations

Paulus Esterhazy pesterhazy at gmx.net
Wed May 7 12:20:31 UTC 2008

Christian T. Steigies schrieb:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm guessing you never heard back from Asus?
>>>
>>> Have you been in contact with madwifi.org to find out how donations best
>>> could be handled? There doesn't seem to be a way to donate money for a
>>> specific goal at ???http://madwifi.org/wiki/Donations
>>>
>>> Perhaps donations directly to Nick Kossifidis could be arranged?
>> You're right, I never heard a word from Asus. So a direct donation is
>> what I think is best, too. I posted a message a while back to the
>> forum.eeeuser.com message board, and got some response:
>
> Couldn't the debian project sponsor one or two of these cheap machines? This
> could be a temporary loan, until the drivers are finished, if Debian can not
> afford to buy those machines to get a free driver developed. The previous
> debian leaders have often approved hardware expenses, if you give them a
> reasonable explanation. I have no experience with the new leader yet, but I
> would not be suprised if he would allow this expense. Just send a nice email
> to leader at d.o, I think this is a very reasonable cause.
>
> Christian

I'm not sure how successful this would be - Debian surely cannot
financially support every single struggling hardware driver project
there is? Though it might be worth a try, given that the Eee PC is a
much-used computer. Someone else should ask, though, as I'm not a Debian
developer (or even very regular contributor).

Paulus