[Debian-eeepc-devel] upgrade broke some things

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Mon May 26 09:15:13 UTC 2008

Sasha,

On Sat, 24 May 2008 19:51:31 +0200
Aleksandar Popadić <aleksandar.popadic at siol.net> wrote:
> Last night I dist-upgraded my eee and it broke some things. The kernel
> got upgraded from 2.6.24 to 2.6.25 (as did the prebuilt modules from
> eeepc repo) and things still work with the old kernel.

You're running sid (unstable), then?

> One thing that got broke were the volume control keys. What was wrong,
> was that LineOut got changed to Line-Out and iSpeaker to Speaker. Now I
> don't know if this is specific to my machine, but if it's not it would
> be a good thing to fix the scripts.

Since most people still run lenny (testing), the defaults will remain as
they are until 2.6.25 migrates to testing.

> The other thing that's wrong is that I don't have any battery info. acpi
> -V returns:
>

> No support for device type:battery
>      Thermal 1: ok, 53, degrees C
> No support for device type: ac_adapter
>

> There's also no battery file in /proc/acpi and i get these errors at
> boot, which I don't get with the old kernel (not sure if it's got
> anything to do with it):

Yes, it does.  The old /proc/acpi interface for the battery is gone in
2.6.25. The acpid package has not yet caught up with that change.  See:
http://bugs.debian.org/462467.

However, the gnome-power-manager seems to function properly with the
new kernel and report battery status correctly.