[Debian-eeepc-devel] Suggesting Boot Booster on wiki

Axel Beckert abe at deuxchevaux.org
Wed Nov 26 15:18:19 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 01:07:48AM +0100, Luca Niccoli wrote:
> I restored the 16Mb partition at the beginning of the 4Gb SSD of my
> 901, this let me enable Boot Booster in the bios and made me save
> nearly 3 seconds on boot.

Ehm, despite the name, it is not mentioned at all on
http://www.geocities.com/binnyva/binny/pro/dos/boot_booster/ that Boot
Booster saves any time during booting. In contrary, it only adds (IMHO
useless) features which use the boot time for additional things like
display jokes while booting.

Then there is no license information except the ambiguous "free" on
that website. Sounds like "free" as in "free beer" to me, not like
"free" as in "free speech". Haven't found any link to source code on
that page, either.

Additionally the "download" is a ZIP archive containing a file called
"setup.exe". I doubt that this is targeted for free operating systems
and I would not try any software accessing disks or partitions
directly with WINE.

> I think in the wiki we should suggest to keep /dev/sda1 while
> installing debian (fixing it after you have everything installed and
> configured is quite a pain),

IMHO at least on the 701, disk space is way too precious to keep some
disk space unused for the vast majority of users. I also think that
wiki.debian.org is definitely the wrong place for mentioning this
obviously non-free, Windows needing, suspicious and not very useful
software.

		Regards, Axel
--
Axel Beckert - abe at deuxchevaux.org, abe at noone.org - http://noone.org/abe/