[Debian-eeepc-devel] join the team - contribute to the project

Patrick Ringl patrick.ringl at gmx.de
Thu Nov 27 22:16:25 UTC 2008

Hello,

I'd like to join the team on alioth and thus help Debian working
optimally on the EEE-'platform'. I currently maintain a few packages and
intend to do more since I like the whole approach of the EEE's.
Personally I own a black 900A currently running testing :-)

Anyway as far as my planned contribution to the project is concerned,
I'd like to enhance WiFi integration in general. Since
madwifi's/atheros' FOSS (ath5k) has been in mainline since 2.6.25 the
migration from the current 'special eee images' will need to take place
sooner or later. I hope to contribute in that respect.
Another task would be to enhance the installer showing the ssid's of the
current available networks arround while installing - which would be a
simple but still useful feature as well.

One of my main goals I'd like to see achieved is truly working
hibernation, however. Since nettops were made for mobile use mostly,
hibernation is an important feature which should be fully supported in
the first place and hence should work out of the box - which the current
installer unfortunately does not ensure at all.
Also the whole lot of powermanagement/ACPI issues might be of
importance. (At least personally I am suffering loads here and currently
had not time/no opportunity to discuss on this issue with others, which
I hope will have a change then).

I think netbooks in general got potential - and at least personally I'd
like to help using this to it's full capacity - which is why I ask to
join the team and dedicate some of my time towards an interesting
project :-)

regards,
Patrick