[Debian-eeepc-devel] 5 second boot

Damyan Ivanov dmn at debian.org
Thu Oct 9 17:10:19 UTC 2008

-=| Klaus Ade Johnstad, Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 06:45:07PM +0200 |=-
> Torsdag 9. oktober 2008 18:19, skrev Phil Endecott:
> > My Eee 901 currently takes
> > 16 seconds from pressing the power button to grub handing over to the
> > kernel,
>
> I had the same "problem" with my 900, until I upgraded the bios, then I
> was down to about 1 second.

From what version to what version?

I just timed my boot and it is:

* 8 secs until grub prompt (BIOS version 1101, EeePC 901)
* grub prompt waits for one second
* 7 seconds more until the cryptsetup prompts for passphrase
  (time taken for entering that omitted)
* 28 seconds more until I can start typing my login name in gdm.

All in all, 44 seconds, plus the time for enttering the crypt secret.
From these 7 seconds may (never tried) be spared by upgrading the
BIOS, one more by setting the grub timeout to 0, resulting in 36
seconds.

What I modified in the boot process:
* I installed insserv and enabled the 'startpar' policy.
* I configured the gdm greeter to use a theme that does not take
  5 seconds to show. I ended up using 'gnome-black'.

dam            JabberID: dam at jabber.minus273.org