[Debian-eeepc-devel] 5 second boot

Phil Endecott spam_from_debian_eee at chezphil.org
Thu Oct 9 17:14:29 UTC 2008

Klaus Ade Johnstad wrote:
> Torsdag 9. oktober 2008 18:19, skrev Phil Endecott:
>> My Eee 901 currently takes
>> 16 seconds from pressing the power button to grub handing over to the
>> kernel,
>
> I had the same "problem" with my 900, until I upgraded the bios, then I
> was down to about 1 second.

Hi Klaus,

In your other post you said this was "from leaving the blue asus bios
screen to grub start".  I'm measuring the 16 seconds from pressing the
power button; I then get about 6 seconds with a black screen, followed
by about 3 seconds with a grey ASUS-branded BIOS screen, then grub
starts and gives me 5 seconds to choose something from its menu before
timing out (and I could obviously eliminate this).  So assuming that my
grey ASUS-branded BIOS screen is the same as the blue screen that you
describe, I'm not seeing your 20-second delay.  My main unavoidable
delay is a completely black screen right after I press the power button.

I am curious to know if CoreBoot (aka LinuxBIOS) could make this
faster; but clearly the "low hanging fruit" at the moment is the later
stages, by using Arjan and Auke's work.

Do have a look at the LWN article, if you haven't already seen it.

Phil.