[Debian-eeepc-devel] Using a pre-populated /dev for faster boot

Phil Endecott spam_from_debian_eee at chezphil.org
Fri Oct 17 13:08:48 UTC 2008

Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> I think you can safely ommit the settle call in the network
> coldplugging part.

There are scripts for things like ntp that run after this and want the
network to be up.

> Also, the initial coldplugging may be split in two
> parts - disks and the rest (minus network). The disk part would need
> the settling, but the rest wouldn't, perhaps saving some more waiting
> time.

There are certainly some things that could be delayed, but creating
these /dev nodes using tar is fast enough that there's not much point.

> Does the modified uudev startup work with the Debian kernels (i.e.
> without having to hardwire all the needed modules)

No.  A non-modular kernel is a precondition for all of this.

>> - Setting the clock takes up to a second.  But I don't think it
>> would if we didn't have to use --directisa.  So can someone remind
>> me why we do that?
>
> Because of a bug in the rtc driver that may well have been fixed.
>
> Hmm, it appears I don't have --directisa in /etc/default/rcS.
> I remember hangs during clock setting, but not after the last kernel
> upgrade (Debian 2.6.26).

But I did see the bug in kernel.org 2.6.26.  Maybe it was fixed in a
Debian patch.  Anyway I now have 2.6.27 so I'll try without
---directisa.  If anyone can remember anything about the patch that
fixed this, please let me know!

Phil.