[Debian-eeepc-devel] Using a pre-populated /dev for faster boot

Phil Endecott spam_from_debian_eee at chezphil.org
Sat Oct 18 22:13:39 UTC 2008

Phil Endecott wrote:
> - Setting the clock takes up to a second.  But I don't think it would
> if we didn't have to use --directisa.

It turns out that it still takes up to a second even when hwclock is
reading from /dev/rtc; it still waits for the time to tick over to the
next second.  Not using --directisa just means that it is idle wile
waiting for the tickover, rather than polling.  It's still on the
critical path for the boot.

I think I'd be quite happy for my clock to be +/- half a second, at
least until NTP has started, but hwclock doesn't seem to have an option
for this.

Phil.