[Debian-eeepc-devel] problems upgrading a 701 to current lenny

David L. Johnson david.johnson at Lehigh.EDU
Mon Oct 20 14:57:58 UTC 2008

I had been hanging back until I could be sure that the kernel problems
were solved.  But last night I upgraded my machine, and have a few
problems.  I suspect the upgrade did not fix all the scripts, but I'm
not sure where to look.

I have a 701, and upgraded from a 2.6.25 kernel to 2.6.26.1-8, the
latest testing kernel.  I did a full apt-get update;apt-get upgrade,
installed all the packages that were kept back (that included the new
kernel), and did

apt-get install atl2-modules-2.6-686 madwifi-modules-2.6-686

I have two problems.

1)  I can't suspend (suspend to ram; I don't have swap so hibernation is
not an option at the moment).  Nothing happens whether I use the hotkey
Fn-F1 or the menu (gnome).

2)  If I turn off wifi using the hotkey, it can't be turned on again.
It would come on for a few seconds, then went off again.  I re-booted,
and the wifi was still off.  Then, the hotkey did work to turn it on,
but it wasn't configured and dhclient did not fix that.  Re-booting
again gave me the network back.

The lighting adjustment hotkey does work, though.  The sound adjustment
hotkeys don't seem to work, either, but sound does work.

Sorry if this has been covered before.  Any hints on how to fix it would
be greatly appreciated.

--

David L. Johnson

A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems.
		-- Paul Erdos