[Debian-eeepc-devel] problems upgrading a 701 to current lenny

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Mon Oct 20 17:00:45 UTC 2008

On Mon 2008-10-20 10:57:58 -0400, David L. Johnson wrote:

> 1)  I can't suspend (suspend to ram; I don't have swap so hibernation is
> not an option at the moment).  Nothing happens whether I use the hotkey
> Fn-F1 or the menu (gnome).

What happens if you do (as the superuser):

  sync
  echo -n 'mem' > /sys/power/state

Then does suspension work?  If it does work that way, but not from the
hotkeys or the gnome menu, is your regular user in the powerdev group?
If not, then you should add your user to the powerdev group:

  adduser yourusername powerdev

> 2)  If I turn off wifi using the hotkey, it can't be turned on again.
> It would come on for a few seconds, then went off again.  I re-booted,
> and the wifi was still off.  Then, the hotkey did work to turn it on,
> but it wasn't configured and dhclient did not fix that.  Re-booting
> again gave me the network back.

Is the pciehp module loaded?  I found that for my eeepc 900, moving to
a new version of eeepc-acpi-scripts meant that i needed to make sure
that pci hotplugging module was already loaded.  the easiest way to do
this is just to add the module to /etc/modules:

  echo pciehp >> /etc/modules

I wrote more about why this was needed here:

 http://www.debian-administration.org/users/dkg/weblog/37

For configuring your wireless card as a regular user with
network-manager, you'll need to make sure that your account is in the
netdev group.

hth,

        --dkg