[Debian-eeepc-devel] problems upgrading a 701 to current lenny

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Mon Oct 20 19:56:49 UTC 2008

On Mon 2008-10-20 14:50:21 -0400, David L. Johnson wrote:

> Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
>
>>   adduser yourusername powerdev
>
> OK added.  It didn't help immediately.  Now re-booting.  Ah, now it
> works.  Odd that I didn't need that before.

Group membership is assigned at each login, so probably just logging
out and logging back in would have worked instead of a re-boot here.
I'm glad it worked.

I'm not sure why you were able to suspend without being in powerdev
before; perhaps the older acpi scripts didn't know to defer to the
gnome-power-manager, if one was running?  Since acpi scripts are
executed as the superuser, they'd be able to suspend on their own.  If
they defer instead to the running GNOME power management daemon,
though, then that daemon will do the appropriate permissions checking.
I think this is the way it all works, anyway -- this is definitely not
my area of expertise!

>>   echo pciehp >> /etc/modules
>
> Adding this seemed to fix the problem.  Thank you very much!

Great!  This *would* have required a reboot to make sure it worked, so
i'm glad there was a reboot in between.

> Again, thanks for your help.  I assume that these changes are made
> automatically when a user installs debian now, but such config changes
> might not always get put into upgrades.

I'm not sure if the first non-root user gets added to powerdev by
default these days.

I'm also pretty sure that pciehp is *not* automatically added to
/etc/modules, even for models where that's clearly advantageous.  When
i suggested that it should be added on this list a few days ago, i was
told that it was mentioned on the wiki (though i can't find it on the
wiki, actually).  This doesn't seem terribly satisfactory to me, but
then again i'm not sure what the right fix would be, either (i.e. i
wouldn't want pciehp to be added to /etc/modules for *every* machine,
just for the ones for which it is reasonable, and i don't know how to
tell if that's the case).  If you've got a proposed patch, i'd be
happy to review it, though!

Regards,

      --dkg