[Debian-eeepc-devel] problems upgrading a 701 to current lenny

David L. Johnson david.johnson at Lehigh.EDU
Mon Oct 20 18:50:21 UTC 2008

Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On Mon 2008-10-20 10:57:58 -0400, David L. Johnson wrote:
>
>> 1)  I can't suspend (suspend to ram; I don't have swap so hibernation is
>> not an option at the moment).  Nothing happens whether I use the hotkey
>> Fn-F1 or the menu (gnome).
>
> What happens if you do (as the superuser):
>
>   sync
>   echo -n 'mem' > /sys/power/state

It immediately suspended.

> Then does suspension work?  If it does work that way, but not from the
> hotkeys or the gnome menu, is your regular user in the powerdev group?
> If not, then you should add your user to the powerdev group:
>
>   adduser yourusername powerdev

OK added.  It didn't help immediately.  Now re-booting.  Ah, now it
works.  Odd that I didn't need that before.

>> 2)  If I turn off wifi using the hotkey, it can't be turned on again.
>> It would come on for a few seconds, then went off again.  I re-booted,
>> and the wifi was still off.  Then, the hotkey did work to turn it on,
>> but it wasn't configured and dhclient did not fix that.  Re-booting
>> again gave me the network back.
>
> Is the pciehp module loaded?  I found that for my eeepc 900, moving to
> a new version of eeepc-acpi-scripts meant that i needed to make sure
> that pci hotplugging module was already loaded.  the easiest way to do
> this is just to add the module to /etc/modules:
>
>   echo pciehp >> /etc/modules

Adding this seemed to fix the problem.  Thank you very much!

> I wrote more about why this was needed here:
>
>  http://www.debian-administration.org/users/dkg/weblog/37
>
> For configuring your wireless card as a regular user with
> network-manager, you'll need to make sure that your account is in the
> netdev group.

I have not been using network-manager, since I have a PEAP network to
connect to at the office, and at least when I originally installed the
system, network-manager couldn't manage that, and use wpa-supplicant
instead.  Has network-manager extended its capabilities to include PEAP
authentication?  I'm already in the netdev group, anyway.

Again, thanks for your help.  I assume that these changes are made
automatically when a user installs debian now, but such config changes
might not always get put into upgrades.

--

David L. Johnson

Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I can assure you
that mine are all greater.
		-- A. Einstein