[Debian-eeepc-devel] swap and hibernation

David L. Johnson david.johnson at Lehigh.EDU
Sat Oct 25 03:03:44 UTC 2008

Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

> On modern debian systems, as i understand it, hibernation actually
> *is* shutting down.  The state of the memory and the hardware all gets
> written to disk (in a "resume image" in your swap partition), and then
> the machine just turns off.  The hanging for a minute should be
> writing out the RAM and hardware state to your swap device.
>
> The difference comes around at boot time: if the system recognizes an
> available resume image in your swap partition, it should boot just
> enough to read in that image, reset the state of the system to match,
> and then jump right back to where it was.

Well, when I try to hibernate, I get a bunch of pciehp error messages
about not being able to add device 0x...  the error message is quite
cryptic and is repeated several times.  It stays for a couple minutes.
When starting it up again it goes through a full boot to a gdm login
screen.  This is not hibernation; noting is resumed; it's a fresh boot.

> That's how i understand it, anyway (though i haven't tried it on my
> eeepc, which has no swap).  Maybe your problem is happening at resume
> time?

Maybe.  I worry that it can't find the image since it's on the sd card,
which may get unmounted during the hibernation (it would seem to get
unmounted in a suspend-to-ram), and so is not found on wake-up.  Maybe?

--

David L. Johnson

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by
little statesmen and philosophers and divines."
		--Ralph Waldo Emerson