[Debian-eeepc-devel] swap and hibernation

Federico Castagnini federico.castagnini at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 03:34:48 UTC 2008

Hi Daniel

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 1:03 AM, David L. Johnson
<david.johnson at lehigh.edu> wrote:
> Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
>
>> On modern debian systems, as i understand it, hibernation actually
>> *is* shutting down.  The state of the memory and the hardware all gets
>> written to disk (in a "resume image" in your swap partition), and then
>> the machine just turns off.  The hanging for a minute should be
>> writing out the RAM and hardware state to your swap device.
>>
>> The difference comes around at boot time: if the system recognizes an
>> available resume image in your swap partition, it should boot just
>> enough to read in that image, reset the state of the system to match,
>> and then jump right back to where it was.
>
> Well, when I try to hibernate, I get a bunch of pciehp error messages
> about not being able to add device 0x...  the error message is quite
> cryptic and is repeated several times.  It stays for a couple minutes.
> When starting it up again it goes through a full boot to a gdm login
> screen.  This is not hibernation; noting is resumed; it's a fresh boot.
>>
>> That's how i understand it, anyway (though i haven't tried it on my
>> eeepc, which has no swap).  Maybe your problem is happening at resume
>> time?
>
> Maybe.  I worry that it can't find the image since it's on the sd card,
> which may get unmounted during the hibernation (it would seem to get
> unmounted in a suspend-to-ram), and so is not found on wake-up.  Maybe?

maybe the memory image is correctly written to the sd card, but at
boot time the system is unable to use that disk.

if you have some space available in the internal disks you can try to
make a swap file, i am using that configuration, a 1GB swap file in
the 16GB disk.

i have follow some instructions here:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/s1-swap-adding.html

best regards