[Debian-eeepc-devel] eee 900 wifi problems

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Oct 29 09:18:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 06:57:37 +0100
"Sergio Blanco" <crimsomshadow at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using wicd so using the interfaces file is useless for me. Even if I
> tried, the first problem to solve would be it's inability to scan for APs.
> If I have the interface up and running it doesn't matter if it knows where
> to connect, I should be able to search for networks, no?

Sorry, I don't know anything about wicd.  All I know about the topic is
what users have recorded here:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/Wifi

I cannot vouch for its accuracy.

> The weird thing is the same happens with ath5k, madwifi-modules in
> repositories and madwifi compiled from new sources. Instead, I tried a live
> cd of eeexubuntu and it worked flawlessly. I think the problem is somewhere
> else, and it seems to be something wrong with the new 2.6.26 kernel. Is
> there someway I can go back to 2.6.25 and try without breaking my system?

Considering that the 900 "just works" for everyone else, instead of
trying such drastic measures, you need to find out how you're different
from others.  It's not the 2.6.26 kernel, as nobody else has reported
this problem.  It is likely some misconfiguration.

Let's start with logs.  Post /var/log/syslog and we can start there.