[Debian-eeepc-devel] [SCM] Maintenance of?eeepc-acpi-scripts?debian package branch, master, updated.?db56a3bc8a47819398ae7ae768722932aa9aea75

Damyan Ivanov dmn at debian.org
Mon Sep 1 10:20:55 UTC 2008

-=| Iván Sánchez Ortega, Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 11:12:06AM +0200 |=-
> El Lunes, 1 de Septiembre de 2008, Damyan Ivanov escribió:
> > Still, the check can be extended to be:
> >
> > if there is a bt_control file *and* it contains "1" *and* there is a
> > hci0 device, then assume the internal bluetooth is ON.
>
> I really like that idea.
>
> However, are you sure that the control file is *not* created on the 701 (nor
> 900, nor 904)?

At the moment that control file is not created even on 901. And even
if it is created on models without bluetooth, there are other
conditions in the above check.

Note that if the control file does not exist, the code falls back to
just checking for hci0.

> > From your reply I hoped you have some practical experience with
> > the
> > code breaking something, though. It sounds more like a theorethical
> > argument to me :)
>
> Just send me a 900 and a 904 to test with, and I'll break all the code you
> want :-P

Well, the problem is that we can't avoid any future breakage without
having the details now. And we don't have the details as noone with
the above models told them. Until then, the support of these models is
"best effort".

> > Oh, and the eeepc-acpi-scripts would take an useful acpi key away from
> > their users.
> >
> > Perhaps its usage should be made optional via a vairable in
> > /etc/default. Perhaps set on postinst (only on first installation or
> > when upgrading to a version supporting bluetooth) on selected models.
> > This would also avoid messing with usb bluetooth dongles.
>
> That's fine for me, but I guess that, at some poing, we'll be abusing debconf.
> e.g. "I want some service (gpsd) restarted whenever I toggle bluetooth, let's
> make it configurable". I still have to read a lot of debian guidelines,
> though.

Note that I intentionally didn't mention debconf at all and don't plan
involving it in the process.

If an user wishes to add extra functionality to key handling, the
/etc/acpi/actions.hotkey.sh file is at their disposal. It is a
conffile so any user-made changes are preserved on upgrades.

It is my belief I have addressed all your concerns. Now I have to find
some time to make the changes reality :)

dam            JabberID: dam at jabber.minus273.org