[Debian-eeepc-devel] performance of gnome-osd

Damyan Ivanov dam at modsoftsys.com
Tue Sep 2 14:23:33 UTC 2008

-=| Paul Menzel, Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 03:56:11PM +0200 |=-
> in [1] aosd-cat is mentioned and in [2] it is written
>
>         # by default OSD output of function keys is disabled because it's too slow
>         # set to yes if you want fancy osd overlayS
>         ENABLE_OSD='no'
>         OSD_FONT='DejaVuSans 36'
>
> Now I read [3] about gnome-osd. How does that perform? Since aosd-cat
> was really slow when I tried it.
> [1] /usr/share/doc/eeepc-acpi-scripts/README.Debian
> [2] /etc/default/eeepc-acpi-scripts
> [3] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-eeepc-devel/2008-September/000952.html

Well, try it? If you already have gnome (or most of it) installed,
just add gnome-osd package and set ENABLE_OSD to 'yes'. Logout/login
for the gnome-osd bridge to start and trigger some notifications.

The gnome-osd is used without any fancy things for notifications that
are expected to be repeated often (changiing volume level). When
swithing something on/off (audio, camera, wlan, bluetooth), it uses a
'sliding' notification, that may not be that fast.

IIRC, aosd uses some "fade-in/-out" effects that don't perform that
well.

I prefer the gnome-osd thingie as I happen to run GNOME and it
performs reasonably well on the 1.6GHz Atom.

dam            JabberID: dam at jabber.minus273.org