[Debian-eeepc-devel] Problems setting up gnome-osd with LXDE (Openbox) (was: Re: performance of gnome-osd)

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Sep 3 10:40:30 UTC 2008

Dear list,

Am Dienstag, den 02.09.2008, 17:23 +0300 schrieb Damyan Ivanov:
> -=| Paul Menzel, Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 03:56:11PM +0200 |=-
> > in [1] aosd-cat is mentioned and in [2] it is written
> >
> >         # by default OSD output of function keys is disabled because it's too slow
> >         # set to yes if you want fancy osd overlayS
> >         ENABLE_OSD='no'
> >         OSD_FONT='DejaVuSans 36'
> >
> > Now I read [3] about gnome-osd. How does that perform? Since aosd-cat
> > was really slow when I tried it.
> > [1] /usr/share/doc/eeepc-acpi-scripts/README.Debian
> > [2] /etc/default/eeepc-acpi-scripts
> > [3] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-eeepc-devel/2008-September/000952.html
>
> Well, try it?

Yeah, I wanted to know if it is worth the hassle. And now I have already
spent 30 minutes trying to set it up under LXDE ;)

> If you already have gnome (or most of it) installed,

I think LXDE uses Openbox, which uses GTK and I have Epiphany and GDM
installed, which almost pulled in all the stuff from GNOME.

> just add gnome-osd package and set ENABLE_OSD to 'yes'. Logout/login
> for the gnome-osd bridge to start and trigger some notifications.

$ sudo aptitude install gnome-osd
$ sudo vim /etc/default/eeepc-acpi-scripts
$ cat /etc/default/eeepc-acpi-scripts
# by default OSD output of function keys is disabled because it's too slow
# set to yes if you want fancy osd overlayS
ENABLE_OSD='yes'
OSD_FONT='DejaVuSans 36'
[…]

$ sudo invoke-rc.d acpid restart # I do not know if that was needed.
Stopping ACPI services....
Starting ACPI services....
$ # logout/login, just to make sure
$ gnome-osd-event-bridge &
[1] 2840
XChat monitoring is not working: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.xchat.service was not provided by any .service files
$ # Nothing happens, when I change the backlight or volume.
$ gnome-osd-client -f "<message id=’myplugin’ osd_fake_translucent_bg=’on’ osd_vposition=’center’ animations=’off’ hide_timeout=’1000’ osd_halignment=’right’>Volume: 96%</message>"
ServerError: <class 'xml.parsers.expat.ExpatError'>: not well-formed (invalid token): line 1, column 12
$ # Bug?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul