[Debian-eeepc-devel] New version of eeepc-acpi-scripts needs testing

Damyan Ivanov dmn at debian.org
Sat Sep 6 14:33:44 UTC 2008

-=| oz, Sat, Sep 06, 2008 at 12:46:01PM +0200 |=-
> * Bluetooth seems to be a little odd. But I don't know how to test
> it correctly, because I have no external bluetooth-devices.
>
> I started testing with BT disabled in BIOS. No bluetooth messages
> appear in syslog (ok). The wireless-LED is off. Pressing button #4
> produces these syslogs:

The current eeepc-laptop driver does not support the bluetooth device.
This is the root of all the hassle below. The script blindly attempts
to load the hci_usb module and then chechs if any new hci device
appeared. As the device is disabled in the BIOS, there is none, so the
scripts says 'OFF'.

If you want bluetooth, it must e enabled in the BIOS (or you should
use the acpi-eeepc driver, now being removed from Debian as upstream
kernel added eeepc-laptop).

The scripts will work with both drivers, obviously they work better
with the full kernel support that is not quite there yet.

> Then I rebooted and enabled BT in BIOS. While booting the wireless-LED
> went on (!). In the bootlog I found now:

The blue LED stays on if *either* one of wlan or bluetooth is enabled.
Now, "enabled" means different things if you use the in-kernel
eeepc-laptop, as it cannot control the bluetooth. In that case, when
the BT is enabled in BIOS, the blue light stays on always. If
aeeepc-acpi driver is used, the bluetooth device can be properly
enabled/disabled, which is reflected by the blue LED (and the BIOS
setting).

> So I think it is save, to start the eee with BT disabled in BIOS. -

Not sure if the BT device is really consuming any power if it is
enabled in the BIOS and the driver unloaded. powertop has some
suggestions in that case that you may like to follow.

> I saw wireless.sh is unchanged, so I continue to take my modified
> version:
>
>  #!/bin/sh
>
> . /usr/share/eeepc-acpi-scripts/functions.sh
>
> wlan_control=/sys/devices/platform/eeepc/wlan
> [ -e $wlan_control ] || wlan_control=/proc/acpi/asus/wlan # pre-2.6.26
>
> case $1 in
>     on|enable)
>         if [ $(cat $wlan_control) = 0 ]; then
>             modprobe -r pciehp
>             modprobe pciehp pciehp_force=1 pciehp_slot_with_bus=1
>             echo 1 > $wlan_control
>             #detect_wlan
>             #modprobe $WLAN_MOD
>             # adding a sleep here, due to some bug the driver loading
> is not atomic here # and could cause ifconfig to fail
>             #sleep 1
>             #if ! ifconfig $WLAN_IF up; then exec $0 off; fi
>         fi

Yes, I forgot about this. The problem is that your version does not
work on 701/madwifi. I guess the code should to different things
depending on the wlan module. Added to TODO.

> Thanks, Damyan, for making the new button-functions available!

You're welcome. Thanks for the feedback.

I'll prepare a new version and ask for more comments. Looking at the
TODO length, this may not happen this weekend, but who knows... :)

dam            JabberID: dam at jabber.minus273.org