[Debian-eeepc-devel] New version of eeepc-acpi-scripts needs testing

Damyan Ivanov dmn at debian.org
Sun Sep 7 21:01:45 UTC 2008

-=| oz, Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 06:17:02PM +0200 |=-
> On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 14:29:00 +0300
> Damyan Ivanov <dmn at debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Meanwhile, I pushed another stream of fixes. Please test the Git
> > version on your EeePC and report any problems.
>
> first the good news, all these function-tests were successful:
>
> * Closing the lid works under kpowersave+powersavd. Under
> Kpowersave Settings I have an action defined "Lid close button: Suspend
> to RAM"
> * Without a running kpowersave+powersavd lid-close -->
> suspend-to-ram
> works also.
> * Fn+F2 Suspend-to-ram works.
> *  Klicking on 'Suspend to RAM' in KPowersave works.
> *  Klicking on 'Suspend to DISK' in KPowersave works.
> *  s2disk works.
> * camera-test with luvcview successful.
>
> Very good!

Thanks!

> But the hotkey Fn+F2 for wireless+LAN is buggy on my 901 now. This
> is
> the behavior, when I use wireless.sh action from your latest
> eeepc-acpi-scripts (git). I used the button three times:
>
> BIOS WLAN disabled
> After boot:
> Wireless-LED off
> cat /sys/devices/platform/eeepc/wlan --> 0
> lspci | grep RaLink --> not found
> ifconfig | grep ra0 --> not found
>
> Fn+F2
> Wireless LED on
> OSD message: Wireless Off
> cat /sys/devices/platform/eeepc/wlan --> 1
> lspci | grep RaLink --> not found
> ifconfig | grep ra0 --> not found
[ snup two more attempts]

I think thes means the module didn't actually load, even if the
adapter is now present on the system ($wlan_control returns 1).

> Please notice, that never the OSD message Wireless On appears.
>
> With my wireless.sh script, that is attached below, the button works
> this way (again switched three times):
>
> BIOS WLAN disabled
> After boot:
> Wireless-LED off
> cat /sys/devices/platform/eeepc/wlan --> 0
> lspci | grep RaLink --> not found
> ifconfig | grep ra0 --> not found
>
> Fn+F2
> Wireless LED on (with latency)
> OSD message: Wireless On
> cat /sys/devices/platform/eeepc/wlan --> 1
> lspci | grep RaLink
> 01:00.0 Network controller: RaLink Device 0781
> ifconfig|grep ra0
> ra0       Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr
[snip]

> It seems not all of the modprobe-stuff can be removed from the
> script.
>
> Another point is, that I want to start with WLAN disabled in the BIOS.
> Else the ra0-interface hangs a long time while booting, trying to get
> it's DHCP-session (which never succeeds, because you need to have a
> WPA-connect first). Boot only continues after the timeout.

I think fixing this needs adjustments in /etc/network/interfaces,
here's the relevant part of mine:

allow-hotplug ra0
iface ra0 inet manual
       wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

iface default inet dhcp

(although this is actually commented-out currently, as I am using
network-manager; anyway, it *did* work before I started using N-M)

> Here is my patched script wireless.sh:

From what I see, the difference is that (1) pciehp is reloaded with
the right options before activating wlan:
>             modprobe -r pciehp
>             modprobe pciehp pciehp_force=1 pciehp_slot_with_bus=1
>             echo 1 > $wlan_control
and, (2) the interfaace is brought down before deactivating.
>             detect_wlan
>                 ifdown --force $WLAN_IF
>                 modprobe -r $WLAN_MOD
>             echo 0 > $wlan_control

> I wish, the script could be as simple, as you suggested - but it seems
> not to be possible. Maybe a third owner of a 901 can test it.

My theory now is that you miss the right options to pciehp in
/etc/modprobe.d, or didn't regenerate the initrd and they don't take
effect on boot.

Please run:

grep -r pciehp /etc/modprobe.d
cat /sys/module/pciehp/parameters/pciehp_slot_with_bus
cat /sys/module/pciehp/parameters/pciehp_force

*before* activating wireless (as your script reloads pciehp with the
right options and I want these active at boot time).

If I am right, either the grep won't return
  options pciehp pciehp_force=1 pciehp_slot_with_bus=1
meaning you should add that line to /etc/modprobe.d/local,
or, one of the cats won't print 'Y', meaning that the initrd needs to
be recreated (update-initrd -u -k2.6.26-1-686), or both.

as for (2), doesn't deactivating (Fn-F2 when already active) work
without that?

Thank you for your patience :)

dam            JabberID: dam at jabber.minus273.org