[Debian-eeepc-devel] Super Hybrid Engine on eeepc 901c with kernel 2.6.31-6

Shawn Lamson shawn.lamson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 12:07:06 UTC 2009

Hello

I recently upgraded from a stock debian kernel to a custom compiled 2.6.31-6 in order to resolve the issue with the rt2860 wifi driver locking the box on resume from suspend.  I was so satisfied with being able to at last put my machine to rest at will, and it so extended it's usability that decided to get more aggressive and re-enable the "Super Hybrid Engine" feature.

At first - everything worked great!  I hadn't researched the issue the way I had done with the rt2860 issue and I just figured someone somewhere along the way had resolved this one as well - or that fixing the one had also fixed the other.  After a few days, though, I
found a problem.

I was able to extend battery life for so long and it was so convenient to just fold up my eeepc each time I was done using it that i never noticed i *never* used it while it was plugged in (but it's always powered on).  All of a sudden one evening I went to use it while it was plugged in, and it was frozen up.  I hadn't closed it prior to "docking" it to the power cord... I booted it up and noticed that it wouldn't boot all the way, and froze where it used to freeze when I had first noticed the "S.H.E." problem months ago, prior to disabling that feature in the BIOS (Advanced-> CPU Config-> Intel Speed Step tech).

I unplugged her, booted up again, noticed the line "Setting super
hybrid engine according to configuration... (Battery) ... done" , and
she booted all the way to a login.  I shut her down, plugged her in,
this time noticed the line "Stting super hybrid engine according to
configuration... (AC) ... done" but a little while later bootup stalled
on rsyslogd, not to resume (the old behavior when SHE was enabled in BIOS).

Has anyone else seen this issue?  Most of the S.H.E. information I see on
google searches is from 2008, and not related to my experience, and I
didn't see anything on here.

P.S. - it's not just on boot, if I boot up on battery power (S.H.E. enabled) then switch
to AC she freezes as well.

Thanks,

Shawn

--