[Debian-eeepc-devel] An eeepc 1101ha owner here

Alan Jenkins sourcejedi.lkml at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 20 11:29:18 UTC 2009

On 12/17/09, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn <cristian.ionescu-idbohrn at axis.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Did anyone of you manage to get the windos tax refund from ASUS?
> Been trying to do that the passed month.  Unfruitful attempt :(
>
> Tips and pointers are most welcome.

My browsing history suggests it may not worth trying.  (Standard
disclaimer applies: I just read this on the internet a while back, it
may not actually be true).  Unless it's more about the principle than
the money, and/or you're interested in pursuing it legally.

With Windows 7, the new EULA means vendors don't have to accept OS
returns separately.  IOW, they can say "this product includes Windows,
take it or leave it".
<http://yro.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1453312&cid=30196206>

Or if it's Windows XP, ASUS are now only offering a $6 refund
(supposedly because that's what XP is sold for to netbook OEMS).
<http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/11/22/1833255/No-More-Fair-Price-Refund-For-Declining-XP-EULA?from=rss>

Regards
Alan