[Debian-eeepc-devel] An eeepc 1101ha owner here

Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn cristian.ionescu-idbohrn at axis.com
Sun Dec 20 14:06:06 UTC 2009

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009, Alan Jenkins wrote:

> On 12/17/09, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn <cristian.ionescu-idbohrn at axis.com> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > Did anyone of you manage to get the windos tax refund from ASUS?
> > Been trying to do that the passed month.  Unfruitful attempt :(
> >
> > Tips and pointers are most welcome.
>
> My browsing history suggests it may not worth trying.

But I found success stories too.

As I said, there are actually some indications of success:

	http://korakora.org/node/14
	http://www.osor.eu/search?SearchableText=Court+orders+refund+of+pre-loaded+operating+system
	http://www.aduc.it/comunicato/monopoli+illegale+usare+linux+come+disporre_11798.php
	http://news.slashdot.org/story/09/07/31/1215248/Amazon-US-Refunds-Windows-License-Fee-Too
	http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2009/07/21/getting-your-microsoft-tax-refunded-1010-for-amazon-uk/
	http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2009/08/10/pressure-mounts-on-windows-tax/
	http://simos.info/blog/archives/category/fdo

> Unless it's more about the principle than the money,

Of course it's about the principle too, but not only that.  Some of the
above links mention refunds of $65 or £40.  And that's quite a bit more
than the $6 you point to and the 7 euro ASUS would offer.  See below.

> and/or you're interested in pursuing it legally.

Valid point.

> With Windows 7, the new EULA means vendors don't have to accept OS
> returns separately.  IOW, they can say "this product includes Windows,
> take it or leave it".
> <http://yro.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1453312&cid=30196206>

One of the replies to the above /. article makes a good point:

	See, that's another trap altogether. The EULA is only one part of
	the argument.

	The *REAL* argument is that concerning tying: it is illegal to
	bundle a third party product and then refuse to take it back if
	the customer doesn't want it.

> Or if it's Windows XP, ASUS are now only offering a $6 refund
> (supposedly because that's what XP is sold for to netbook OEMS).
> <http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/11/22/1833255/No-More-Fair-Price-Refund-For-Declining-XP-EULA?from=rss>

I was actually informed with:

	http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techsurvey.aspx?ID=RWTM20091128187491973-514

that the XP version bundled with the eeepc 1101ha is 7 euros worth: