[Debian-eeepc-devel] eeepc-live prerelease image

Darren Salt linux at youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 28 21:22:25 UTC 2009

I demand that Juha Heinanen may or may not have written...

> i tried eeepc-live prerelease on 1101ha.  here are the problems that i
> noticed:

> - fn-f2 does not have any effect.  wifi interface is up all and works
>   all the time.

Interesting. The kernel should be handling this...

What does acpi_listen have to say when you press Fn-F2?

[snip]
> - viewing video didn't work (error opening/initializing the selected
>   video_out (-vo) device), but mplayer app showed up on the screen.

Xv should be fine, at least with GMA950 and similar... then again, yours is
GMA500. xshm should work, though (and I'm quite sure that it would with
xine).

> - volume control keys (fn-f10 - fn-f12) didn't have any effect according
>   to alsamixer.

Output of 'amixer' would be of interest, along with the content of
/lib/init/rw/eeepc-acpi-scripts.sound and /proc/asound/cards.

*But* before you do that, see whether they produce hotkey or button events
(acpi_listen). If there are no hotkey events, it would be worth installing
eeepc-acpi-scripts from git (which has support for the button events).

> - brightness control keys (fn-f5, fn-f6) didn't have any effect (i guess
>   because of the unsupported graphics chip of 1101ha).

Hmm. They should be handled by the BIOS.

> - when exploring apps, i noticed that the game (briquolo) didn't work:
[snip]

Well, for one thing, it wants OpenGL; but the software renderer should be
working, at least. As for why it's not getting the correct resolution...

> - external monitor didn't work (fn-f8 had no effect).

That's relying on xrandr which, in turn, is relying on the graphics driver.
What does xrandr output when run without parameters?

--
| Darren Salt            | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Doon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds    ,demon,co,uk    | Northumberland | Army
| + Vermin Media. It's not "nothing to hide" but "you're invading my
privacy".

In any human endeavour, work seeks the lowest hierarchical level.