[Debian-eeepc-devel] eeepc-live prerelease image

Darren Salt linux at youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 29 14:01:32 UTC 2009

I demand that Juha Heinanen may or may not have written...

> Darren Salt writes:
>>> - fn-f2 does not have any effect.  wifi interface is up all and works
>>>   all the time.
>> Interesting. The kernel should be handling this...
>> What does acpi_listen have to say when you press Fn-F2?

> acpi_listen does not say anything about any fn-fx key except f1, which is
> suspend.  looks like this explains many of the issues that i reported and
> should be fixed before it makes sense to proceed with testing.

You probably need to try 2.6.33-rc2, although I have no idea whether this
will fix things.

>> [snip]
>>> - viewing video didn't work (error opening/initializing the selected
>>>   video_out (-vo) device), but mplayer app showed up on the screen.
>> Xv should be fine, at least with GMA950 and similar... then again, yours
>> is GMA500. xshm should work, though (and I'm quite sure that it would
>> with xine).

> i couldn't find any of those in the default repositories that came with the
> test image.

What do the repositories have to do with video output methods?

>> *But* before you do that, see whether they produce hotkey or button events
>> (acpi_listen). If there are no hotkey events, it would be worth installing
>> eeepc-acpi-scripts from git (which has support for the button
>> events).

> i'll try to look into that, but how about including it in the test image?

There's the small matter of doing another release first :-)

>> Well, for one thing, it wants OpenGL; but the software renderer should be
>> working, at least. As for why it's not getting the correct
>> resolution...

> the default resolution 1024x768 is not the resolution that i use in my
> normal lenny based system.

Then there's something different about how X is being initialised, and
possibly how the console is being initialised (if you're getting anything
other than 80x24 text).

> i have 1366x768 resolution as explained on page
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/Model/1101HA.  it would be nice if that
> could be implemented automatically during installation.
[snip]
> user at debian:~$ xrandr
> Screen 0: minimum 1024 x 768, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768
> default connected 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
>    1024x768       61.0*

Hmm... I have the impression that this would require some special handling to
fix at present...

--
| Darren Salt            | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Doon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds    ,demon,co,uk    | Northumberland | Army
| + Vermin Media. It's not "nothing to hide" but "you're invading my
privacy".

You will be singled out for promotion in your work.