[Debian-eeepc-devel] Elantech drivers in kernel 2.6.28

Darren Salt linux at youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 11 14:29:34 UTC 2009

I demand that Valtteri Vuorikoski may or may not have written...

> On Jan 5, 2009, at 3:16 AM, Michael Pobega wrote:
>> A) when going slowly on the touchpad, the mouse moves extremely slowly
>> and unsmoothly.
>> B) tapping DOES NOT WORK WELL. I need to tap hard and three~four times
>> before a single tap is registered by the system.
[snip]
> I'm using patched Debian kernel and lenny Xorg and seriously had problem A
> when I first applied the patch. Based on /usr/doc/xserver-
> xorg-input-synaptics/README.alps, I added the appended section to my
> xorg.conf.

> I didn't see problem B. Have you looked at the output from "synclient - m
> 10"? The "f" column indicates the number of fingers detected and "z" is
> pressure on the trackpad. Pressure is always either 0 or 128 for me; if it
> has actual pressure values on newer kernel/X, you might need to tune
> FingerLow/High.

The device doesn't report pressure, and the driver in 2.6.28 knows about
this; which is why newer xserver-xorg-input-synaptics is needed.

[snip]
> # From README.alps
>    Option        "LeftEdge"              "120"
>    Option        "RightEdge"             "850"
>    Option        "TopEdge"               "120"
>    Option        "BottomEdge"            "650"
>    Option        "FingerLow"             "14"
>    Option        "FingerHigh"            "15"

I initially tried manually tuning these, but that didn't work too well; so I
let the driver detect these for itself, and I've had no problems with that. I
suggest that you do so too.

[snip]
|   Let's keep the pound sterling

It's worse than that, it's physics, Jim!