[Debian-eeepc-devel] Debian EEE, the 701, and SD card reader kernel bug

David L. Johnson david.johnson at Lehigh.EDU
Mon Jan 26 15:19:22 UTC 2009

Robert Epprecht wrote:
> mpb <mpb.mail at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> In mid December I installed Debian EEE on an Asus EEE 701.  The
>> installation was successful, but the Debian testing distribution had
>> upgraded to a new kernel version that contained a bug that prevented
>> the 701's SD card from functioning.

Not exactly.

> This is not true: the SD card reader worked fine for most people through
> the different kernel versions we have seen.

I've had my 701 since August, and have run nothing but debian testing on
it.  At first I had difficulties with the sd card, but those came from
the particular way I wanted to mount it.  I wanted my /home and swap to
be on this disk, and set up /etc/fstab accordingly.  It would mount the
disk correctly at first, but once it suspended/resumed, it would
automatically mount the sd under /media as well, which then caused all
sorts of problems.

My solution was to let the sd get mounted under /media and provide a
link to it for the big directories under my home directory.  /home and
my $HOME  are on the internal drive.  Works fine.  I think now that my
original scheme might now work as well, but there is no reason for me to
change it.  I also have 1G of swap on the sd card, controlled by
/etc/fstab, and it works fine.

--

David L. Johnson

Become MicroSoft-free forever.  Ask me how.