[Debian-eeepc-devel] Debian EEE, the 701, and SD card reader kernel bug

Robert Epprecht epprecht at solnet.ch
Mon Jan 26 10:05:54 UTC 2009

mpb <mpb.mail at gmail.com> writes:

> In mid December I installed Debian EEE on an Asus EEE 701.  The
> installation was successful, but the Debian testing distribution had
> upgraded to a new kernel version that contained a bug that prevented
> the 701's SD card from functioning.

This is not true: the SD card reader worked fine for most people through
the different kernel versions we have seen. There *have* been reports about
difficulties with the internal reader on different distributions (including
the default Xandros os) and some people made the experience that their reader
worked with one kernel or distribution and not with others.

Another thing is, when you try to mount the reader through /etc/fstab when
booting, then the reader is often not ready yet. Mounting the card later on
(or booting from the card) works fine for most people.

>  I forget the exact error message,
> but I tracked it down at the time (mid December) and there were clear
> reports blaming the the testing distribution's new kernel version for
> the problem.

I have seen one such (pretty agressive) 'report' by one person, but this
was not the experience that most of us had, AFAIK. The sd card reader workes
fine for most people on Debian Lenny.

All in all the internal reader of the eee does not seem to be of very good
quality and some people have reported problems related to overheating.

Robert Epprecht