[Debian-eeepc-devel] patch for GSM toggle

Darren Salt linux at youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 8 18:06:52 UTC 2009

I demand that Thiemo Nagel may or may not have written...

> could you please have a look at the attached patch (against the shengine
> branch) which allows toggling of HUAWEI USB GSM adapters?  (saves approx
> 0.5-0.8 Watts on my Eee PC 1000HGO)

Could you test for rfkill support in kernel 2.6.31-rc2 or a backport of
eeepc-laptop, and alter your patch accordingly? It looks like support is
present via an rfkill device named "eeepc-wwan3g" (but I can't test this),
and that would be the preferred method of handling this: we shouldn't
hard-code it for a particular GSM device, we should only be affecting
built-in hardware, and it looks like all that'll actually be needed is to
report the state.

See http://dev.iksaif.net/projects/acpi4asus/wiki/Backport_module for
backporting instructions.

--
| Darren Salt            | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Doon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds    ,demon,co,uk    | Northumberland | Army
| + Output less CO2 => avoid massive flooding.    TIME IS RUNNING OUT *FAST*.

When in doubt, lead trump.