[Debian-eeepc-devel] patch for GSM toggle

Thiemo Nagel thiemo.nagel at ph.tum.de
Wed Jul 8 19:47:16 UTC 2009

Darren Salt wrote:
> I demand that Thiemo Nagel may or may not have written...
>> could you please have a look at the attached patch (against the shengine
>> branch) which allows toggling of HUAWEI USB GSM adapters?  (saves approx
>> 0.5-0.8 Watts on my Eee PC 1000HGO)
>
> Could you test for rfkill support in kernel 2.6.31-rc2 or a backport of
> eeepc-laptop, and alter your patch accordingly? It looks like support is
> present via an rfkill device named "eeepc-wwan3g" (but I can't test this),

I will have a look.

> and that would be the preferred method of handling this: we shouldn't
> hard-code it for a particular GSM device, we should only be affecting
> built-in hardware, and it looks like all that'll actually be needed is to
> report the state.

Do we want to keep the current behaviour as a fallback for pre-2.6.31
kernels?  Which kernel will squeeze ship?

BTW:  Something I've been wondering for a while:  What prevents
eeepc-acpi-scripts from entering the offical Debian distro?

Kind regards,

Thiemo

--
| Dipl.-Phys. Thiemo Nagel          |                          |