[Debian-eeepc-devel] Problems with screen turning off

Olof Johansson olof at ethup.se
Mon Jul 13 18:32:29 UTC 2009

Hello

Recently I have had problems with my 1000h, running sid, with the
screen getting turned off while watching movies with mplayer. Normally
this will happen after some time of inactivity and will turn on again
when a key is pressed or on mouse activity. Now however, the screen
remains turned off. The sound of the video is also turned off. It still
reacts to pressing the power button once for a clean shutdown.

I have reproduced this on both 2.6.26-1 (2.6.26-13) and 2.6.29-1
(2.6.29-3). I have not been able to reproduce while not watching
movies with mplayer. Is this a known problem, and is there a
work-around? Or what logs can be interesting to attach?

My guess is that, since it only happens when mplayer is running,
mplayer tries to disable screensaver and other similar things (like
turning off screen, but fails). Why this will make it impossible to
start the screen, i don't know. Some one got any ideas?

--
Olof Johansson
∎ PGP: 0x7FC0FBBA