[Debian-eeepc-devel] Problems with screen turning off

Thiemo Nagel thiemo.nagel at ph.tum.de
Mon Jul 13 21:00:41 UTC 2009

> Recently I have had problems with my 1000h, running sid, with the
> screen getting turned off while watching movies with mplayer. Normally
> this will happen after some time of inactivity and will turn on again
> when a key is pressed or on mouse activity. Now however, the screen
> remains turned off. The sound of the video is also turned off. It still
> reacts to pressing the power button once for a clean shutdown.
>
> I have reproduced this on both 2.6.26-1 (2.6.26-13) and 2.6.29-1
> (2.6.29-3). I have not been able to reproduce while not watching
> movies with mplayer. Is this a known problem, and is there a
> work-around? Or what logs can be interesting to attach?

I'm having a problem on 1000HGO (lenny, 2.6.30) which might be related:
  When I open a second X session to login a second user and play web
video there, sometimes the second session locks up, but without
disturbing the first session.  However, restarting the X server on the
2nd session doesn't help, the virtual console #8 remains dead.

When your having problems again, could you please check whether you can
switch to the console (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and back (Alt-F7)?  What happens
when you kill the X server using Ctrl-Alt-Backspace?  Does it re-spawn?
  (This is just to check whether we have a similar problem.  Can anybody
advise concerning diagnosis?)

Kind regards,

Thiemo

--
| Dipl.-Phys. Thiemo Nagel          |                          |