[Debian-eeepc-devel] uvc webcam with Ekiga ?

Pedro Bulach Gapski pbgapski at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 12:51:31 UTC 2009

2009/7/30 Frédéric Boiteux <fboiteux at calistel.com>:
> Le Wed, 29 Jul 2009 12:54:25 -0300,
> Ben Armstrong <synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> a écrit :
>
>> Maybe a configuration issue?  Is Ekiga set to use v4l2 (note: not
>> v4l) for this camera?
>
> Yes, Ekiga tells it tries V4L2 and detects the camera, but can't use
> it. I wondered if it was a own wrong setup, i.e. if anybody already
> succeeded using it with this software (the webcam works well with
> cheese for example).

I am also interested in this issue. I have a similar problem with
kopete, which does not recognize the camera. On the other hand,
luvcview and mplayer use the camera with no problems. I remerber that
kopete used to work with the camera (several months ago), so that may
be related to newer kernels.

Searching the net I found a hint that it may be hal-related, but I had
no time to investigate it further. It may be that hal sees the camera
as v4l and not v4l2 [1].

My hw is an eeepc 900 with lenny and kernel 2.6.30 and acpi from backports.

Pedro

[1] http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kopete-bugs/2009-March/005212.html