[Debian-eeepc-devel] SD Cards

Fabien pogzy at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 2 13:31:08 UTC 2009

Hi all,

After playing several months with Xandros, I've tried Ubuntu but didn't like
because too much unwanted things that was installed by default on the 4GB of my
701 SD and it takes quite some time to boot. So I tried Debian, installed it as
shown on the WIKI and it worked nice and smooth, I've got some trouble to make
acpi worked but finally it does.

There is still one thing that does not work which is the SD internal reader
card. At boot time, it hangs up if there was a SD card plugged in the reader. After
reading some posts here and there on the web, I looked on the BIOS but the OS
was already flagged as Installed, some posts say this issue rose when the OS is
set to setup in the BIOS. So I do re-save the bios settings without changing
anything, it does not alt anymore, but I'm still having the error when dmesg
and the SD reader does not work.
I did some searches on the web & found a kernel bug called last_sector_bug
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/snapshots/patch-2.6.26-git16.log
(search for eeepc and you'll find it). Some friends of mine told me it's easy
to compile kernel, just pick the config file from /boot, then download kernel
sources, make, add grub entry and that's it. Quite naively I found a debian
tutorial to compile the kernel and follow it, I pick the last 2.6.28 one (to
replace my 2.6.26.1-686). It compiled nice, I don't understand the config file
which seems to be much more complete that the need of my eeePC 701. Then I
added the grub entry and try to boot on the newly compiled kernel, but I've got
an error of file format. The new kernel is four times the size of the current
one?

Do you know if there a simple way to fix this SD bug, if there was somebody
kind enough to post an url to a fixed kernel that I could download and install?
Or do you know some links that could help?

Regards
Fabien