[Debian-eeepc-devel] setting up GMA500 (was: Re: Squeeze release goals)

Pedro Bulach Gapski pbgapski at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 17:51:13 UTC 2009

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 1:38 PM, Paul Menzel
<paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 11.10.2009, 19:25 +0300 schrieb Juha Heinanen:
>> Pedro Bulach Gapski writes:
>
> […]
>
>>  > For reference, I am running kernel 2.6.30-2 and X 7.4.
>>
>> my kernel is 2.6.30-6-bpo50+1 and X 7.3.
>>
>>  > Indeed. My glxgears numbers have been greatly reduced when I upgraded
>>  > to xorg 7.4, although general experience improved. My glxgears give me
>>  > about 50 FPS, and performance is acceptable for general use.
>>
>> that is only 1/4th of what i'm getting.  so the advice is stay with X 7.3
>> or could your reduced number have something to do with fbdev?
>
> As far as I remember correctly, this has nothing to do with performance.
> A quick search turned up [1]. So it could be related to the vblank
> setting.

I have not investigated the vblank stuff, but I am sure the FPS drop
is not fb related. If I remember correctly, the numbers are as
follows:

xorg 7.3 + vesa: around 120 FPS
xorg 7.4 + vesa: around 20 FPS
xorg 7.4 + fbdev: around 50 FPS

so fbdev driver in fact improved my performance a lot.

Notwithstanding, my perception is that 7.4 improved performance with
smoother scrolling gears.

Pedro