[Debian-eeepc-devel] SHE over/underclocking on demand (not on AC)

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Apr 6 11:31:19 UTC 2010

On 04/06/2010 08:15 AM, Trent W. Buck wrote:
> SHE is an over/underclocking mechanism in recent Eee PCs.  Out of the
> box, eeepc-acpi-scripts supports an SHE mode "automatic", which will
> underclock when on battery and overclock when on AC.
>
> It seems to me that it'd be preferable to underclock on low loads and
> overclock on high loads.  That is, the same behaviour as the "ondemand"
> and "conservative" governors provide for cpufreq P-states.
>
> Is this possible (without resorting to a userspace daemon)?
> If not, where should I file the wishlist bug?

I imagine this should be a kernel-space governor like with cpufreq and
some userspace tools to control it like cpufrequtils.  But I really
don't know if the cpufreq subsystem in the kernel could be expanded to
include control of S.H.E. or if a new module would be needed, or if it
would be best to leave it entirely to userspace instead.  Maybe the
place to start would be to discuss it with the eeepc_laptop maintainer.