[Debian-eeepc-devel] Acpi hotket/button events

Darren Salt linux at youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 24 19:23:19 UTC 2010

I demand that Luca Niccoli may or may not have written...

> On 22 April 2010 18:35, Darren Salt <linux at youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk>
> wrote:
>> It's what needed to be done at the time to get these working. IIRC, it
>> depended on whether you were installing a squeeze or sid kernel or
>> building your own.

>>> Are there models that generate only button events?
>> Not of which I'm aware. (I get both, even for buttons 3 and 4.)

... hmm, odd. I don't seem to be getting them at present. I'm sure that I saw
them...

>> Anyway, any removal of handling of hotkey events is, I think, best not
>> done before squeeze is released (consider those who want to use
>> lenny+backports), though I see no reason not to do this on a branch now.

> The idea was, on the contrary, to remove handling of button events, since
> these are not always present and will disappear after squeeze.

Hmm?

> It could be (I'm not sure) that the kernel in lenny does not generate
> hotkey events, only button ones.

The button events (well, I say "button"; I include "video/brightnessup" etc.
in that too) are more recent. It seems likely that why buttons 3 and 4 didn't
cause button events is that the code which adds them was written for an EeePC
with only two 'soft' buttons.

> But does that old kernel really support EeePCs? I think most wireless cards
> and some network ones aren't supported anyway, so lenny users would use a
> backported kernel as well.

Quite likely...

[snip]
--
| Darren Salt            | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Toon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds    ,demon,co,uk    | Northumberland | Army
| + http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/

Those who can, do. Those who can't, simulate.